A day excursion to the best-preserved Greek archeological treasures is a must for any visitor to Sicily. Discover this historic city at your own pace, with the services of a licensed guide. In Siracusa, you will meet a local expert tourist guide who will lead you first to the world-famous Neapolis Archaeological Park and to the pedestrian area of the ancient town in the isle of Ortigia. Over here, you can enjoy some of the ancient sights, such as the Cathedral, the Arethusa Fountain and elegant Baroque style palaces.
The visit at the Neapolis Archaeological Park includes the Greek Theatre (5th century BC), where nowadays the ancient Greek tragedies go in scene; the Roman Amphitheatre, where combats among gladiators were held; the Latomie of the Stone Paradise, ancient hollows which provided the stone for many of the Greek monuments, like the famous is the Orecchio of Dionisio (Ear of Dionysius). According to the legend, the then tyrant Dionysius could hear the whispers of the prisoners that were held in its depths. In reality, it has such an unbelievable acoustic power that the sound produced inside is amplified up to sixteen times. Some of the ancient sights to see in Syracuse are located in the isle of Ortigia*. The two most important are the Cathedral (a Doric Temple built on an ancient Sicilian settlement), a Byzantine basilica, a Norman church with late Renaissance and Baroque elements, and the Arethusa Fountain, a place linked to Greek mythology.
After this pleasant walking tour with your guide, it is definitely time for lunch. After the pleasant walking with your guide, you'll have the chance to have lunch at a typical Sicilian restaurant located in this ancient town that specializes in pasta and local fish dishes matched with the best of Sicilian wines.
- Private hotel pick-ups in Catania area
- Car driven by a driver-qualified tour leader
- Half day service by licensed tourist guide in Siracusa
- Entrance fee at Neapolis Archaeological Park.
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Italian, English, French, Spanish
- Customized routes and pickups everywhere in Sicily can be arranged on request.
- The duration indicated does not include the transfer time to Syracuse (approximately 2 hours round trip).
- - 25% cancellation Fee: 45 days prior to date of activity.
- - 50% cancellation Fee: 16 days prior to date of activity.
- - 100% cancellation Fee (No reimbursement): Less than 16 days before the date of activity.