Xunantunich Maya Temples and Belize Zoo - from Caye Caulker
Before your Belize adventure begins, transfer via domestic flight or water ferry (depending on option chosen) from Caye Caulker to Belize City.
From Belize City, head for the wildlife habitat known as The Belize Zoo. The Zoo was created as a sanctuary for the country's indigenous species and is now home for an impressive array of large cats, primates, reptiles and birds. A visit to the zoo gives you the opportunity to see Belize's amazing wildlife in one location.
Xunantunich (Maya for "Maiden of the Rock") sits just inside the Western border of Belize to nearby Guatemala. Before reaching the entrance of this ancient city, your party will board a 19th century hand-cranked ferry which takes you across the Mopan River during which there is regular sighting of huge green iguanas. A short shuttle ride from the ferry brings you to the entrance of Xunantunich which is located on one of the highest plateaus in the area.
After restroom break your group meets at the Visitor's Center for a historical presentation. During your archeological walk you will be looking out for birds and howler monkeys, and your guide will be pointing out interesting and important trees and plants (Copal, Ramon, Cotton, Allspice) which played a major role, both medicinally and as a food source, to the Maya in ancient times.
Your walk back in time will include viewing of original carved monuments (stellae) which depict Maya rulers and warriors in their full regalia, as well as residential palaces for Maya elites.
The highlight of your Maya exploration brings you to "El Castillo," the tallest of the temples at this site which is 130 feet from ground level. About half way up the temple you get to appreciate an astronomical carving unique to Xunantunich, depicting Maya gods that was discovered in the 1950s.
If you decide to continue the upward walk to the peak of the temple you will enjoy a panoramic view of the Belize River Valley in the Cayo District and nearby Guatemala.
- Guided tour
- Park fee
- Lunch (Belizean restaurant)
- Soft beverage
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Roundtrip transfers by domestic flight / water ferry OR one-way transfer by water ferry (transfer back by domestic flight)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- This tour has a 2 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met.
- There will be a bit of walking on uneven ground on this tour; not wheelchair accessible.
- Children below 2 years old are free of charge if seated on adult's lap.
- Pick-up time varies depending on hotel location. Pick-up starts at 07:00 (for domestic flight transfer to Belize City) and 06:30 (for water ferry transfer to Belize City).
- Tour can be arranged on a private basis. Please inquire.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.