Ferdinand Magellan came to Cebu in April 1521, claimed it for King Phillip of Spain and planted a Cross to symbolize its Christianization.
Cebu's icon, Magellan's Cross, is the first stop of the tour. It then proceeds to the Basilica Minore of the Child Jesus, home of the image of Jesus as a Child, the baptismal gift of Magellan to Queen Juana, the first Christian Filipina. Then onwards to Fort San Pedro, a coral stone fortress originating from the original wooden structure built on the site in 1565, protecting the city that became the first Spanish settlement in Asia. Then drive through the country's oldest street - Colon Street, to Plaza Parian and make a short stop at Casa Gorordo, a museum showcasing the elegant lifestyle of the Spanish/Filipino elite of the 18th century. A visit to Museo sa Sugbu completes the tour of the Cebu City's heritage sites.
Cross over to Mactan Island passing through the industrial city of Mandaue, where many factories that produce world class furniture are found. The first stop in Mactan is the Church of our Lady of the Rule, a National Shrine visited by many who attribute Mactan's economic success to her devotion. Then visit a guitar factory to see how these renowned Philippine guitars are made. Your final stop is the Liberty Shrine, erected on the battleground where Magellan met his defeat in the hands of Datu Lapu-Lapu, who was then the chieftain of Mactan. Today a larger-than-life statue of Lapu-Lapu towers over mangroves and the very shores of his triumphant battle.
- Hotel pickup
- Airconditioned transport
- Services of an English-speaking tour guide
- All entrance Fees
- Meals and drinks
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- Children below 2 years old are free of charge.
- Children must be accompanied by at least one adult.
- Hotel pick-up may be up to an hour before departure time.
- - Free cancellation: 8 days prior to date of activity.
- - 20% Cancellation Fee (80% reimbursement): between 4 to 7 days prior to date of activity.
- - 100% cancellation Fee (No reimbursement): Less than 4 days before the date of activity.