Start your trip with a pleasant excursion through the delightful hills of the Chianti countryside, offering an ever-changing scenery of vineyards and olive trees. Along the way, from the wide panoramic windows of our bus, admire the medieval hamlet of Monteriggioni, enclosed by its famous walls which remain standing to this day.
Upon arrival in Siena, you will enjoy a guided tour of the old town beginning from the famous Basilica of San Domenico (inside visit), a treasure chest of Renaissance art built in the 13th century, dedicated to St. Catherine of Siena of which preserves a relic.
Walk along the narrow medieval streets of Siena, admiring its splendid palaces until you reach the magnificent Cathedral. The guided visit continues with a tour in a Museum and an Oratory of a Contrada** where you can experience the authentic atmosphere of the town. The Contrade districts into which the town is divided are the real core of the local social life, where inhabitants of each district compete with each other as they devote themselves to preparations for the well-known Palio horse-race. The contrada is not simply a district: it is a small state having its own legacy of traditions, memories and emotions, including its own flag and anthem. The Museum of a contrada, as well as its Oratory, is therefore the heart of the district. This is an intimate and secret place - with exclusive access - containing historical documents and wonderful relics of the famous Palio, as well as magnificent works of art which are normally not disclosed to the public. In other words, a truly exclusive and valuable experience.
The guided tour of Siena ends in its most beautiful square, Piazza del Campo, of which the Palazzo Pubblico (town hall) is the focal point. Free time to continue the discovery of Siena and to have lunch (not included). After this break, we will head to San Gimignano, a tiny walled town located on a hill-top, intact through the centuries and famous for its numerous tall towers, frescoes and other valuable works of art.
See a small and fascinating museum, inside the medieval palace. The local guide will introduce you to the history and traditions of this wonderful town through a faithful and evocative reconstruction of how it was in the XIV century. Moreover, you will be able to watch how skilled craftsmen produce handmade objects according to a long standing tradition of excellence.
After the guided visit, enjoy a delicious tasting of fragrant Sienese sweets and food of medieval tradition (focaccias, cantucci, ricciarelli, panforte) and famous local wines (Vernaccia Chianti, Spumante). Then during free time, discover this lovely town at your own pace.
Leave San Gimignano and be transported to the typical Chianti countryside where relaxing rolling hills, olive groves, and vineyards. Stop at a local winery where you will taste 4 excellent wines along with samplings of zero food mile products.
Before returning to Florence, head over to the Chianti village of Greve where you can explore the main square which is filled with open galleries and local artisan shops. See the marvelous statue of the world famous navigator, Giovanni da Verrazzano.
- Excursion through hills of Chianti
- Siena - Cathedral - Libreria Piccolomini - Museum and an Oratory of a Contrada Piazza del Campo
- Free time for lunch (lunch is not included)
- San Gimignano - museum visit - Sienese sweets and Vernaccia wine tasting
- Tour escort
- Local Guide
- Museum entrance fees
- Wine tasting in Vernaccia and Chianti Classico
- Zero food mile products tasting in Chianti Classico
- Sienese and other sweet foods
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Children below 3 years old are free of charge (please provide proof of age).
- *On Sundays and National Holidays, The Cathedral is closed to the public. This will be replaced with the Basilica of San Domenico.
- **When the Museum and the Oratory of the Contrada are not accessible, the visit will include the Opera del Duomo Museum (Cathedral's Museum) or another site of particular historic and cultural interest.
- Headphones for guided visits to museums will be provided for groups of at least 15 participants.
- This tour has a 2 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
- Spanish guided tours are available with a minimum of two passengers in high season (April to October) and four passengers in low season. French, German, and Italian guided tours can be operated with a minimum of four passengers. Other languages (Russian, Japanese, etc) are also available at an additional cost and with a minimum of four passengers.
- The Greve village visits and wine tastings will start in November 2015.
- 8 days before the activity: Free cancellation
- 4 days before the activity: 20% cancellation fee
- Less than 4 days before the activity: 100% cancellation fee