Mai Chau valley is a perfect place to experience Vietnam's village life in a remote setting. Mountain bikers will love this trip for the variety of trails - from good single track paths, undulating rough jeep trails to some climbs that are rewarded with ultimate descents. The ride passes through many villages, across lush rice paddies and above a valley for stunning views. This tour takes us into the countryside where we will encounter the. We'll get to know the local hill tribe people - the White Tai - and their culture better when we overnight in local home stay. After a day or remote cycling you will be rewarded and spoilt with dinner and a night at the lovely Mai Chau Lodge. The next day the rewards continue with a mostly downhill ride before transferring back to Hanoi.
Hanoi-Poom Coong–Cun Pheo
After an early pick up from your hotel we'll drive to Poom Coong village just before lunch time. A short warm up ride through some White Tai villages should build up your appetite for a home cooked lunch at a local traditional house. After lunch we'll cycle to the Tai village of Cun Pheo on a mix of good single track paths and undulating rough jeep trails. The views are stunning as the ride passes through many villages and across lush rice paddies. Unique to this area are fan palms, grown specifically to use for roofing. We'll pass hot springs, cycle across suspension bridges and follow the contours around beautiful terraced rice fields.
On arriving in Cun Pheo village the rest of the afternoon is at leisure to wander by foot or explore the village trails further by bike. Dinner and overnight in local village home stay at Cun Pheo. Accommodation:
30 km. Meals:
Lunch Dinner Day 2
Mountain Loop-Cun Pheo-Buoc-Mai Chau
Today's ride is more remote and challenging, though there is plenty of opportunity to stop, rest and admire the views. After breakfast enjoy relatively easy biking on rolling terrain for the first 7 km, then the trail begins to climb uphill - steep in parts, undulating in others. Rise above the valley and look down on small hamlets, feel and hear the forest surroundings as the trail snakes up and along the mountainside. Stop for a siesta in a Tai village house, a welcome relief from the heat - before tackling the last few kilometers to the top of the pass.
Cruise a final 11 km downhill to Mai Chau. The tracks will vary from hard packed dirt roads tos ingle track, with a few challenging rocky sections thrown in for variety. For those needing more challenging biking it will be possible to cycle further. Tonight we dine and overnight in luxury at Mai Chau Lodge, a hidden gem that comes complete with a swimming pool. Accommodation:
Mai Chau Lodge Ride:
35 km off-road Meals:
Breakfast Lunch Dinner Day 3
After breakfast, and perhaps a quick walk up to a temple, we pick up our bikes and cycle back on the scenic route to Mai Chau, past green rice paddies and local villages, meeting the friendly local villagers. Arrive back in Lac village in time for lunch in a local home stay. We'll have some time to explore the village, perhaps to do some shopping of the local handmade textiles. Transfer 2 hours to Hanoi, arriving late afternoon. Ride:
20 km Meals:
- Pick-up/drop-off at Hanoi hotels
- Bike and helmet hire
- All water and snacks whilst riding
- Meals as per itinerary
- Local English speaking guides
- Accident Insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Any services not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- Children joining the tours should be competent cyclist as there might be some narrow pathways.
- Children under the age 5 of are free of charge.
- This tour has a 2 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
- We ride on off-road tracks, which vary from hard packed jeep roads to singletrack. Since there are technical sections, off-road experience is required.
- The following information per participant will be required upon booking:
• Full name
• Height (in cm) to select correct bike size
- - Free cancellation: 8 days prior to date of activity.
- - 20% Cancellation Fee (80% reimbursement): between 4 to 7 days prior to date of activity.
- - 25% Cancellation Fee (75% reimbursement): between 3 to 7 days prior to date of activity.
- - 100% cancellation Fee (No reimbursement): Less than 3 days before the date of activity.