For centuries Venice was a republic of immense power; controlling trade routes in the Adriatic, and waging successful wars with rival states. Ruled by a doge, who had his powers controlled by a cabinet, Venice was a proud and rich republic, known as la Serenissima, the most serene. Every year the Doge would take part in a symbolic ceremony, the Marriage of the Sea, to celebrate Venice's mastery over the ocean.
Like most great powers, however, Venice's glory was followed by a decline. La Serenissima lost her chattels in wars, and the city's trade routes declined in importance after the discovery of the New World. By the eighteenth century, Venice was already seeking profits from the tourist trade, leasing fine 'palazzi' to foreign travelers.
Venice is composed of more than a hundred tiny islets, packed closely together around canals. The city is in a lagoon, protected by the longer island of Venice Lido. Venice is famously sinking. Every year high water levels (acqua alta) threaten the city's fabric, and it has long been feared that the beautiful city will one day disappear beneath the water. Many ideas (and funds) have been put forward to protect the endangered heritage site; current plans include a giant water-gate.
- 07:00 - Departure from Milan
- 10:00 - Arrive to Venice and tour by boat till San Marco Square
- 11:00 - Guided walking tour of the city center with the main buildings and monuments
- 13:00 - Free time to have lunch and do individual visits
- 16:30 - Transfer by boat to the bus parking and depurture for Milan
- 20:30 - Arrival in Milan
- Return bus trip from Milan
- English speaking tour leader
- Boat trip on Canal Grande
- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- This tour has a 6 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
- Child rates apply from ages 4-11. Children below 4 years old are free of charge (please provide date of birth upon booking).
- In winter season (November-February) some tours may be modified or suspended.
- It is your responsibility to check with appropriate consulates if any visa is required.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.