We begin with a 45 minute boat trip and arrive at the port of Tinos where the bus will be waiting for us. We will drive down the long avenue that many pilgrims have walked, which leads to the most famous church of Greece, the Evangellistria. Here we can find the church's holy icon, which is believed to do wondrous deeds.
After these overwhelming sights, we will leave the town of Tinos and drive through winding roads past typical villages and picturesque landscapes to the monastery of Kechrovouni. This is where the nun Pelagia used to live and where she had the vision to go to Tinos and find the holy icon early 19th century. We will explore the 16th century monastery, where 80 nuns live, and see many whitewashed buildings and churches full of beautiful flowers.
Our bus tour will continue to the important historic mountain of Exobourgo, where the great Venetian castle was situated. In the past, these fortified walls protected the whole of Greece against the Turkish invaders. After some time for photos, we will drive to the other side of Exobourgo and visit the Catholic villages of the island. We will stop in the old traditional village of Volax, which is famous for its basket making. Here, we will have some time for coffee before exploring the village and visiting the local basket makers. Then, it's off to the fertile downs of Komi, where we will pass through the agricultural areas of the island. We will drive down the panoramic road with breathtaking views of the sea and the other islands to the fishing village Panormos. Here, we will have lunch in a traditional tavern by the sea which offers a very tasty variety of local dishes as well as excellent fresh fish from the charcoal grill. You will also have some time to swim, if you'd like.
Our next stop is in the village of Pirgos, the marble region of the island and the center of the marble arts. We will visit the local artists and see their work before exploring the rest of the village, which is completely made from marble. Some of the impressive sites in include the church Agios Nikolaos and the grave yard at its rear, both full of marble art. At the village square, we will have time for a coffee break.
After Pirgos, we go back along the panoramic road towards Tinos town, but not before going to our last stop at the valley of the pigeon houses. We will walk through the village of "Tarambados" and enjoy its pretty setting with the old Venetian pigeon houses. Then we continue our drive back to Tinos town where we will have free time before meeting at the port and returning to Mykonos.
- Escorted tour
- Boat ride
- Bus ride
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- To visit the monastery, men must wear long trousers. Women must wear skirts, dresses or long trousers. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women.
- Please be at the meeting point 30 minutes before departure.
- Children below 4 years old are free of charge.
- This tour has a 12 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
- - Free cancellation: 8 days prior to date of activity.
- - 20% Cancellation Fee (80% reimbursement): between 4 to 7 days prior to date of activity.
- - 100% cancellation Fee (No reimbursement): Less than 4 days before the date of activity.