The Sigatoka River is the longest river on the island of Viti Levu, running from the hills of the Navosa Province right down to the sand dunes in Kulukulu, on the famous Coral Coast. The river provides locals with fresh water mussels (kai), fish, prawns, eels, water for agriculture and for drinking. The river was used as the only means of transport from the coast to the interior right up until the late 1950's. The travel time for many villagers from Navosa in those days was 3 days down alone, with the return journey being even longer.
Today the river is open to tourists and locals to see first-hand the natural beauty of the river and interior, all from the comfort of the safari jet boat.
The Sigatoka River Safari experience:
Our mini-coach driver will pick you up from your resort and transfer you to our base in Sigatoka town. From there you enjoy a 10-mile cruise into the Sigatoka valley, into the fertile area known as the "salad bowl" of Fiji.
Our river departure point is surrounded by spectacular cliffs - a taste of the scenery to come! Our jet boat driver will give you a safety briefing and then it's time to board. As you head up the beautiful green river you will hear about the history of the region, including its cannibal past! Children from the many villages that line the river wave as we speed past and the water is so clear you will be able to see fish and rocks lining the river bottom.
When we reach our village destination, we are given a warm welcome by the villagers. Sigatoka River Safari is careful to visit a different village every day, to minimize the impact of tourism on the village lifestyle in this remote part of the world. We will visit the village Chief's bure (house) and take part in a kava ceremony, before a tour of the village and a traditional Fijian lunch, including wonderful fresh tropical fruit.
Your village visit ends with traditional Fijian singing and dancing and it's time to board your jet boat again for the return trip.
06:50-07:30 - pick-up at Nadi
07:10-08:00 - pick-up at Coral Coast
08:45 - departure from Sigatoka town
14:00 - return to Sigatoka town
14:15-15:00 - drop-off at Coral Coast
15:00-15:30 - drop-off at Nadi
10:45-11:30 - pick-up at Nadi (for group of 6 pax or more)
11:45-12:30 - pick-up at Coral Coast
13:00 - departure from Sigatoka town
18:00 - return to Sigatoka town
18:00-18:30 - drop-off at Coral Coast
18:30-19:00 - drop-off at Nadi (for group of 6 pax or more)
- Hotel pick-up upon request
- 4.5 hour safari tour (jet boating and village tour)
- Tropical Fijian lunch in village
- 10% shopping voucher for Tappoos (Sigatoka and Nadi)
- Village contribution
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Children 3 years old and under are free of charge.
- We recommend you bring sunglasses and sunscreen, comfortable clothing and footwear, camera with plenty of memory space (or rolls of film).
- In times of high occupancy, Island Resorts reserve the right to close out Day Cruise passengers.
- Rates are subject to fuel surcharge, cancellation of departures, arrangement of alternate transport and varied itineraries if necessary.
- All departures are subject to sea and weather conditions.
- Sigatoka Town option does not include transfers from resorts.
- This tour has a 2 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.