Visit the Embera Indigenous Community
Hop on a boat and sail to the Embera indigenous community located on the Chagres River. This community originally came from ancient Great Colombia over 300 years ago and settled mainly in the Darien jungle.
Today you can visit their current home located in the lush and tropical Chagres National Park. Admire their homes (called tambos which are elevated houses with palm-leaf roofs) as well as their traditional dances and customs.
After sharing a traditional lunch and you will have the opportunity to view the Embera's crafts. The Embera are known for being exquisite wood carvers as well as fantastic basket weavers. Their handcrafts are pieces of art and they are available for your purchase. You can also take a swim and enjoy the cool waters of the river.
As part of our commitment to sustainable communities, the Embera Community will receive a financial donation from your participation in this tour.
- Chagres River
- Embera Indigenous Community
- Traditional Lunch
- Naturalist Tour Guide
- English, Spanish
- Hotel pick-up
- Boat transportation
- Park entrance fee
- Fully guided tour
- Donation to the Embera Community
- Traditional lunch and refreshments
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Personal expenses
- Hotel pick-ups are available for selected hotels within Panama City ONLY (View List).
- This is an outdoor activity in the tropics. Light clothes, a towel, swimsuit, an extra shirt, insect repellent, hat, sunscreen and very comfortable shoes or sandals are recommended.
- Italian, Portuguese, French, Greek, Mandarin/Cantonese, Russian and German are available on request at an additional fee.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.