Today Paris is the City of Love, the home of fashion and the center of art and culture in France, but it wasn't always that way. France, and Paris in particular, has a long, tragic history of murder and execution, of rampant disease among the lower classes and of bitter wars fought against a corrupt monarchy. Our Dark Heart of Paris Tour takes visitors on a journey through this other side of the city - the rarely seen underbelly of the City of Love.
The tour takes place under a cloak of darkness, winding down alleyways and cutting through the hushed silence of the night. Following your English-speaking guide, you will go to the sites of some of Paris' darkest hours - the Place de la Vert Gallant where the last of the Knights' Templar was burned at the stake; St Germain de Auxerrois where some estimates say 30,000 were killed in the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre in 1572; and the Palais du Justice where those found guilty by the court were routinely tortured and executed before live audiences.
As you walk, your guide will point out places of interest, filling you in on the full details of the gruesome history of Paris. No stone will go unturned as you delve into the dark heart of the city. Starting out with ritual worship in early Paris you will travel through generations wracked by the plague, the French Revolution, the Paris Commune and Nazi rule. You will learn about the characters that have molded the city, from Napoleon to Marie Antoinette, Henry IV and the serial killers that once stalked these very streets.
The Dark Heart of Paris tour offers a rare opportunity to glimpse a side to Paris that you won't see advertised on postcards. A chance to learn a little more about the City of Love and those who have loved, hated, died and murdered there.
- Place de la Vert Gallant - the site where the last of the Knights' Templar were burnt at the stake
- The Louvre - Outside view of one rear façade - is this really the most haunted place in Paris?
- St Germain de Auxerrois - The St Bartholomew's Day massacre
- La Fontaine de la Croix du Trahoir - Living in Paris during the Middle Ages
- Rue de la Ferronnerie - Assassination of Henry IV
- Square of the Innocents - The origin of the Catacombs
- The Rat Trap Shop (As seen in Ratatouille) - The city's vermin problem
- Tour St. Jacques - The French Revolution and the reign of terror
- La Fontaine du Palmier - Napoleon's legacy
- The Seine - Its influence on the city and its victims
- The Conciergerie - Revolutionary Prison of Mari Antoinette
- Ile de la Cité - Ritual worship in early Paris
- Palais du Justice - Execution and the guillotine
- Hotel Dieu - Ancient medicine and the plague
- Hotel de ville - The old Place du Greve- site of execution and torture
- Guided tour
- Services of an English speaking guide
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Children below 4 years old are free of charge.
- The tour ends in front of the Hotel de Ville.
- It is the individual responsibility of all visitors to arrive at the tour departure points.
- This tour operates with a maximum of 25 guests.
- Booking modifications made within 72 hours of tour date will be charged an amendment fee.
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.