Getting to know the city of Santo Domingo is essential to know the country. This is where the history of America starts. Santo Domingo is the capital city of the Dominican Republic. It's a cosmopolitan, vibrant city, filled with a deep historical past associated with the conquest of the Americas. Located in the south of the island, the city is in the coast of the paradisiacal Caribbean Sea.
After picking you up from your hotel, we will take you to explore the Colombus Park
, central Square of Santo Domingo. See the monument to Christopher Colombus
, and also the stunning cathedral in front, Santa Maria la Menor
first cathedral of the America's. Its construction started in 1514, and finished in 1540. Admire its PLatersque style, so typical of the early 15th century in Spain, as well as the reminiscences of the late medieval Gothic. Around the park, see also the cigars stores, the typical Dominican speciality!
Then, continue your road by the most modern monument of Santo Domingo: the Columbus Lighthouse
and National Panteon. Admire its huge dimmensions: 668 feet long! Inside, you can find the Mausoleum of Cristopher Colombus, built between 1930 and 1992. Its shape reminds a huge cross, and when illuminated, the show of lights project a huge cross in the sky, that can be seen from far away!The Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo
, declared the Common Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO, includes the oldest buildings created by the Spanish conquerors, for example, the first administrative offices and the first cathedral of the new world. This time, you will have the possibility to explore its mythic streets and learn about the fascinating history of the city next to your specialist guide. Fully retaured, you will find in the picturesque neighbourhood the typical style of the colonial period. Marvel at the charming buildings, and its incredible conservation! Open your eyes: in each corner there's something that sourprises.
After that we will make a stop to have a delicious Dominican lunch, before visiting a local market
: you will find the best local handicrafts and specialities to take back home the best souvenirs from your visit to Santo Domingo: vanilla, clothes, cigars and much more!
At the end of the day, we will take you back to the hotel in Punta Cana.
- Pick-up at hotels09:00
- Brief stop at Columbus Plaza in La Romana10:30
- Arrival to SDQ / Panoramic tour of the Columbus Lighthouse and tour of the Colonial city13:00
- Lunch served in a restaurant in the city14:30
- Visit to a local market16:00
- Return to the hotels
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Tour guide
- Panoramic visit of Palacio Nacional, Faro de Colon and monuments in colonial town
- Entrance fee to National Panteon and Cathedral.
- Visit to local market
- Lunch at La Atarazana restaurant
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- Variety of Salads
- Aubergine lasagna
- Red beans
- Yuca's soufle
- Dominican solcocho
- Variety of desserts
- Tropical fruits
- 2 drinks to choose between: water, soda, fruit juice, white and red wine
- Coffee or tea
- Children below 3 years old are free of charge.
- Departure times vary depending on hotel location.
- - Free cancellation: 8 days prior to date of activity.
- - 20% Cancellation Fee (80% reimbursement): between 4 to 7 days prior to date of activity.
- - 100% cancellation Fee (No reimbursement): Less than 4 days before the date of activity.