If you like tropical beaches and hiking, the "Big Island" is the perfect place. Its area is about 200 square kilometers of mountains, jungle, historic ruins and over 100 beaches of transparent green water, linked by well kept trails. It is located 2 hours south of Rio, in the Angra dos Reis Bay, and it's part of the largest remaining area covered with Atlantic Rain Forest, known as the Costa Verde (Green Coast). The island hosted Brazil's largest high security prison during most of the 20th century, which is why it was kept relatively isolated and largely unspoiled. In 1994, the prison was closed and the island became a state park with no roads and cars, which makes a paradise for hiking.
- 05:30am Pick-up at the hotel, get primary instructions and fill the agreement form
- 1 hour and 15 minute drive to Mangaratiba
- Ferry boat trip (1 hour and 45 minutes) to the village of Abraćo
- 3-hour hike visiting 4 beaches: Palmas, Mangues, Pouso and Lopes Mendes
- Time for swimming at the beach
- 45 minute boat trip back to Abraćo
- 1 hour 45 minute ferry boat trip to Mangaratiba
- Accommodation in Abraćo village
- Half day boat trip along the island's cost
- Snorkeling at the island's best spot Lagoa Azul
- Visit Freguesia de Santana's and Saco do Céu
- Return to Rio, arrival around 9:00 pm
- Round-trip transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Boat tickets
- Hiking tour
- 1 night accommodation with breakfast at Pousada
- Boat tour on second day
- Snorkeling equipment and kayak rental
- Personal insurance
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- Children below 4 years old are free of charge.
- The difficulty level of this tour is moderate / hard.
- We recommend you wear light clothing, a jacket, a sun hat and hiking shoes.
- We recommend you bring a swimsuit, a small towel, bug repellant and sunscreen.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.