Open Top Big Bus Tour of San Francisco with Alcatraz Visit
See the infamous prison that Al Capone and the Birdman once called "home." You will start your adventure at Pier 33 where you will be transported by boat to the Alcatraz Prison.
Once at the prison, you will receive a self-guided audio tour which is available in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese. The audio tour will bring the prison story to life as you listen to what it was like on Alcatraz from actual inmates and guides who lived and worked on the island.
While on the island, you can also explore the beautiful gardens and see some of the birds and marine life that call Alcatraz home.
Then experience the diverse culture, beautiful parks, stunning architecture and picturesque views atop an open air bus. Hop on and off at your leisure to create your own customized journey around the city with the choice of a personal recorded commentary (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese) or an entertaining live commentary (English only).
Free Walking Tours
A guide will lead you on a delightful stroll through one of San Francisco's famous areas. Along the way you will get a special insight into the area's history and culture.
Become immersed in the culture and learn about the roots of this unique San Francisco community. The Chinatown walk starts at Unions Square South and is available twice a day at 11:00 and 15:00. The walk takes approximately 1.5 hours.
North Beach Walk
Embrace the unique atmosphere of North Beach and Little Italy. The North Beach walk starts at stop 4 and is available twice a day: at 12:30 and 16:30. The walk takes approximately 1 hour.
Stop 1: Fisherman's Wharf - Mason @ Jefferson Street
Stop 2: Fisherman's Wharf - Taylor @ Beach Street
Stop 3: Washington Square - Columbus @ Union Street - southwest corner
Stop 4: Financial District - Clay and Battery - northeast corner
Stop 5: Union Square
Stop 6: Hilton Hotel - Mason Street at Corner of Ellis
Stop 7: Civic Center- Asian Art Museum on Larkin Street
Stop 8: Fulton Street - @ Inn at the Opera on Fulton @ Franklin Street
Stop 9: Alamo Square - Fell Street at corner of Divisadero, opposite from 76 gas station
Stop 10: Haight & Ashbury- Stanyan and Haight Street - across from McDonald's
Stop 11: Golden Gate Park - Music Concourse in front of Academy of Sciences
*Sunday - stops on corner of Lincoln and 9th - northwest corner
Stop 12: Golden Gate Bridge - South Vista Point
Stop 13: Golden Gate Bridge - North Vista Point
Stop 14: Palace of Fine Arts - Richardson @ corner of Francisco Street
Stop 15: Lombard and Fillmore Street - southwest corner
Stop 16: Lombard and Gough Street - southeast corner
Stop 17: Union Square - Post street @ Powell - In front of Westin St. Francis
Stop 18: Gates to Chinatown - Grant @ Bush Street - In front of Triton Hotel
Stop 19: Stueart Street - between Mission and Howard, in front of Harbor Court Hotel
Stop 20: Pier 39
Frequency: 10 to 20 minutes (depending on the season*)
Loop Duration: 2.5 hours
View Route Map
- Boat ride to Alcatraz
- Audio tour at Alcatraz
- 48-hour hop on hop off ticket
- Tour guide on board the bus (in English only)
- Pre-recorded audio commentary (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese)
- Free walking tours
- Optional 1-hour bike rental (2nd hour free!)
- FREE Panoramic Night Tour
- FREE admission to the Wax Museum in Fisherman's Wharf (adult and child tickets)
- Meals and drinks
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- To claim the 2nd hour free bike rental offer, customers must present their bus ticket.
- Bookings must be made at least 7 days in advance.
- Alcatraz tickets must be redeemed at the Fisherman's Wharf at 09:00. The visit to Alcatraz will be in the afternoon.
- The Alcatraz tour takes about 2 to 2.5 hours.
- The hop on hop off ticket does not need to be redeemed the same day as the Alcatraz tour.
- Children below 5 years old are free of charge provided they are accompanied by a dedicated adult (1 adult to 1 child) and so long as they do not occupy a seat to the detriment of a fare paying passenger.
- Every other bus has a live guide on board narrating the tour. The ones in between have headphones with pre-recorded audio commentary.
- * During the summer time and usually through October, buses are on a 10-minute schedule. During the winter, the interval is spread out but it never exceeds 20 minutes.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.
" A good tour and the visit to Alcatraz was very interesting. would certainly recommend both the bus and the prison. driver was a little hurried at the end of the day and seemed to go off the route a little and we were packed onto the bus with num erous people standing, you could not hear the commentary even if you had wanted too. The phrase 'packed in like sardines' comes to mind."
Maureen M., United Kingdom