This Japanese-style wrestling dates from ancient times and is thus full of rituals. Six tournaments are held each year; Tokyo hosts three tournaments annually.
Leave Hamamatsucho Bus Terminal for the Kokugikan (Sumo Amphitheater) by train.
View sumo-related objects from the Edo period to the present in the Sumo Museum.
Dohyo-iri and Sumo matches
Enjoy a Dohyo-iri (entering the ring) ceremony and exciting sumo matches from a reserved seat on the second floor. English commentary is available on radios which will be provided by the guide.
Tour disbands at Kokugikan around 18:00. Participants will return to their hotels or elsewhere on their own. The guide can provide directions for returning to your hotel.
- English-speaking guide or assistant service
- Hotel pick up
- Meals and drinks (unless specified)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal Expense
- Optional Activity costs
- Pick ups are available from selected Tokyo hotels.
- Your reserved tickets are B-class (second floor seats).
- Children 5 years old and below are free of charge, provided they sit on an adult's lap. If they need a seat, they will be charged (child rates).
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.
"I used City Discovery to see the sumo wrestlers in Tokyo. They made it so easy. Couldn't have found my way around without them. The only problem was.....they wouldn't let me bring one of the sumos home."