This three-hour walk explores Venetian art from the early Renaissance, also touching on the urban nature of the city and its relationships with water and the East, through trade and the worship of relics. As Venetian art is highly intertwined into the culture and social structure, you will also gain knowledge of the social history of the city.
In this walk we have the possibility to visit churches such as San Zaccaria which contains stunning 15th century altarpieces, as well as one of Giovanni Bellini's most famous works. A discussion of Bellini will give us insight into the workshop practices of the day and the slow progression of thought from the artist as laborer to the artist as genius.
From San Zaccaria we may continue to the Scuola di S.Giorgio degli Schiavoni, which raises interesting issues of the immigrant populations in Venice, and the social role played by the confraternities (scuole). The scuola contains a series of paintings by Carpaccio which are still in situ, and which depict miracles of St. George, St. Tryphon and St. Jerome.
Throughout the walk we'll have a chance to intertwine the artistic and social history of Venice, relating the doges' tombs to political makeup of the city and the exploring the fascinating connection between the many lay confraternities in Venice and the art patronage of the city. At the end of the walk you will come away with a strong understanding of the early Renaissance in Venice and how it laid the foundation for the splendors of the high Renaissance artists who followed.
- Services of a docent
- Hotel pick-up
- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- The total entrance fee to sites is approximately 5 EUR. Price is subject to change without notice.
- If you are traveling between November and March, there is a chance you will experience Venice's high tide (acqua alta). You might prepare yourself by bringing along rubber boots or purchasing some upon arrival to Venice.
- Walks are held rain or shine with some variations to accommodate the weather.
- Hotel pick-up is available upon request. Please inquire.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.