Start your day by exploring Stone Town. Follow your guide and learn about the events that shaped Zanzibar as you see the places relevant to its history such as the former Slave Market and the Anglican Cathedral. See the House of Wonders, the Sultans' Palace Museum, the Old Arab Fort and Dispensary.
During the first part of the tour, we will explore the markets and see the children play in the streets of the residential areas as their mothers sit outside and the men play board games. There will be an optional stop at The Zanzibar Coffee House to provide rest from the heat.
After discovering the secrets of Stone Town, we will go on a 20-minute boat ride to Prison Island named after the prison built to condemn Zanzibari citizens to the isolation of the island. Previously owned by an Arab to house his rebellious slaves, the prison was never used, and the island is now home to a tortoise sanctuary, prison ruins and hotel. Observe the giant tortoises shuffle through the trees with the patience that old age brings. Originally thought to be from the Comoros Islands and Seychelles, some of these tortoises are said to be over 100 years old. Stately and lumbering, the tortoises have even been known to take children on a ride. We will have some free time in the island and you can explore one of the hiking trails, snorkel in search of colorful tropical fish darting through the reef or soak up some sun on the powder white beach.
- Hotel pick-up
- Services of an experienced guide
- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks (unless specified)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Child rates are applicable from ages 0 to 11 years.
- Guides are available in English, French, Italian and Spanish. Must be pre-booked at the time of booking.
- We request that you do not feed or touch the tortoises in Prison Island.
- Guests are advised to wear comfortable closed walking or hiking shoes and pants and to bring a hat, towel and sunscreen.
- For departures from other areas, please inquire.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.