The north coast is the dhow building capital of Zanzibar. Your drive to Nungwi will take you past fish markets, where you can see freshly caught seafood being auctioned. There's a stop at the ruins of an old Portugese settlement, where you guide will explain the history of the ruins and the Portuguese conquest of Zanzibar, dating back to 1497.
We will stop at the blacksmith and see the traditional way of making the tools for the construction of dhows. At the construction site, we will see the way dhows have been built for centuries and see how skilled craftsmen bend wood to create the dhows. Take advantage of the opportunity to try your hand at this unique craft.
Our next stop will be the Nungwi turtle sanctuary and aquarium where ailing turtles are nursed back to health and released into the ocean. We will also go on a guided tour of Nungwi village where mamas wrapped in kangas cook over firewood while smiling children play. Walk down to the beach where you can enjoy an optional lunch at one of Nungwi's popular restaurants and enjoy some free time sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling. As the day ends, witness one of the most beautiful sunsets in the world and watch the sky change its color as the sun sinks over the Indian Ocean.
- Mineral drinking water
- Hotel pick-up
- Services of an experienced guide
- Entrance fees
- Meals and drinks (unless specified)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Child rates are applicable from ages 0 to 11 years.
- Guides are available in English, French, Italian and Spanish. Must be pre-booked at the time of booking.
- Guests are advised to bring swim wear, a beach towel, a hat, sunscreen and wear water-resistant shoes.
- For departures from other areas, please inquire.
Your Confirmation Voucher includes full information (e.g. local telephone numbers) about the Local Operator. To ensure your peace of mind, we select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination.
You can book in 3 easy steps!
1. Select date and number of persons. You will be redirected to the Shopping Cart Page.
2. On the Shopping Cart Page, continue shopping or check out.
3. Enter basic travel, name, and payment information in the Check-out Form.
Upon booking, you will receive a voucher by email containing all details about the tour. You can check the status of your booking at anytime.
After you book
Please print the electronic voucher sent to you. It contains the operator's complete contact details and local telephone numbers. Give the voucher to the operator on the day of the activity.
What if I need to change or cancel my booking?
That's ok. We will try to be as flexible as possible. But you must inform us by email of the change or cancellation as soon as possible. The appropriate amount will be credited back to your credit card account. Contact our Customer Service for help with changes or cancellations. Or read our Cancellation Policy.