“It is a tour for persons who love to hear and see things about Irish history. We were a small group and our guide was very kind and helpful. In this tour we walked up hills and , as the weather was fine, we had wonderful sights . ...Anonymous, – See more reviews
What To Expect
Fall in love with Ireland as you enjoy a day of Celtic tour to one of the country's most ancient parts- County Meath. It is known as the Royal County, the place from which the High Kings of Ireland ruled the country from. This place is steeped in history from the passage tombs at Loughcrew said to be even better than that of Newgrange. Inside you will see artworks carved into the stones which are still visible after 6000 years. Afterwards, a breathtaking drive through Ireland's finest countryside will take you to the old town of Trim. Here you will be given entry into the famous Trim Castle known to be as the largest, best preserved and most impressive Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland.
From there you will travel to the most sacred sites of ancient Ireland, The Hill of Tara. The High Kings ruled the country from this high ground and it was the royal centre of Ireland. It is said that a quarter of Ireland's landscape can be seen from this hill.
One of the many famous things Ireland is famous for is the Celtic High Cross. On this amazing Celtic Tour you will also be brought to this place which is one of Ireland's earliest and best-known religious sites at Monisterboise. The Celtic High cross of Muiredach at Monisterboice is the finest High Cross in Ireland and is highly regarded as one of the best surviving examples of the Irish religious art.
Last stop is a short trip to the historical town of Drogheda where you will get a walking tour of the town. You'll have some free time to explore the meandering streets and check out the local shops and street stalls at the end of the walking tour.
Visit to the Loughcrew Portal Tomb
Guided tour to the Trim Castle and Hill of Tara
Visit to Monisterboice Monastery
- 08:00 Depart From Dublin and head for Oldcastle, County Meath.
- 09:30 Arrive at Loughcrew Passage Tomb and the Family Church of Saint Oliver Plunkett.
- 11:00 Walk through the Anglo-Norman Trim Castle and one of the locations for the film Braveheart.
- 12:20 Stand where the High Kings of Ireland were inaugurated at the sacred site of The Hill Of Tara which means Sanctuary Of The Kings. It is the spiritual center of The Boyne Valley.
- 14:15 Stop at Monasterboice where Ireland's oldest Celtic High Crosses and the 2nd tallest Round Tower stands.
- 15:15 1-hour walking tour at the historical town of Drogheda and some free time to explore the shops and stalls.
- 17:15 We head back to Dublin city after a hugely enjoyable and educational day.
Services of a tour guide
Tips and gratuities
Optional activity costs
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure.
Children below 5 years old are free of charge. Children must have their own baby seat/booster seat.
Senior price is applicable to guests aged 65 and above.
You will have 2 hours for the walking tour at Drogheda and 1 hour free time to explore and shop at the town.
All our card payments are protected by thawte to give you peace of mind.
8 hours and 30 minutes