These ancient buildings were founded in 1501, built over an earlier church to honor Vasco de Gama’s successful voyage. The monastery features superb architectural beauty, represented by heavy decorations on the walls and columns, exquisite stained glass windows, rib-vaulted ceiling, statues of personages, and the tombs inside the building.
How to get there
By bus: 714, 727, 732, 759. By tram: 15. By train: Linha de Cascais to Belém. By ferry: From Porto Brandão on south side of Tagus to Belém.
Oct-Ap 10am-5pm. May-Sep 10am-6pm. Closed on public holidays: Jan 1, Easter Sun, May 1, Dec 25