Amsterdam, Netherlands (May 3, 2010)—Highlighting a range of activities in the Netherlands' capital, City-Discovery.com lists down its top ten picks for a holiday in Amsterdam. From canal bus rides to sightseeing trips, private tours and countryside activities, the travel website offers variety, flexibility, and time- and money-saving options to travelers wishing to explore Amsterdam and surrounding areas.
City-Discovery.com's Top Ten Recommendations in and around Amsterdam
1. Canals. The site offers 13 attractions for Amsterdam matched with canal tours. Included in this list are bestsellers such as Amsterdam Traditional Dinner Cruise, Candelight Cruise, Canal Bus Hop on Hop off Cruise, and Canal Pizza Cruise.
2. Museums. Activities combine a hop on hop off canal bus tour with a skip-the-line, discounted entrance ticket to Rijksmuseumand the Van Gogh Museum.
3. Anne Frank House. Opened on May 3, 1960, this museum is dedicated to Anne Frank, a Jewish wartime diarist who went into hiding together with her family on July 6, 1942. For travelers who put this attraction on their itineraries, the site offers City Sightseeing Amsterdam and Anne Frank House, Diamond Factory and Canal Cruise.
4. Red Light District. Fourteen cities in the Netherlands have red light districts. In Amsterdam, the Walking Tour by Nightand Amsterdam Thru the Lens - Private Tour let travelers explore the "Wallen" and "Zeedijk."
5. Amsterdam's Nightlife. On City-Discovery.com, the Ultimate Party Pub Crawl highlights Amsterdam's hottest spots. This activity is available from Sundays to Fridays, 6 nights a week at 8.30 pm. Meeting point is at Dan Murpy's on Leidsestraat 24.
6. Windmills. Picturesque windmill villages as well as lovely countryside views are in the itinerary of several Amsterdam tours on the site. A very popular activity, the Amsterdam City Tour + Volendam, Marken and Windmills, combine the best of countryside sights with city attractions.
7. Madurodam. Named after law student George Maduro, Madurodam is a model of a Dutch town on a 1:25 scale. To see this attraction, which was the inspiration for Disneyland's and Disneyland Park's Storybook Land Canal Boats, the site presents the Grand Holland Landmark Tour including Madurodam.
8. Edam. Half of the Edam-Volendam municipality, Edam is a city famous for the cheese with the same name. This attraction is available with Windmills and Edam.
9. Keukenhof. The world's largest flower garden is located near Lisse, Netherlands. Keukenhof Flowershow is open until May 16 this year.
10. Volendam. Famous for its old fishing boats and Dutch traditional costumes, Volendam is a popular tourist attraction highlighted in the Volendam and Marken.
City-Discover.com also offers the Canals and the Countryside itinerary, a two-day activity that combines a candlelight cruise with a Dutch countryside tour. For more tours, attractions and things to do in the world's top destinations, visit City-Discovery.com.
About City Discovery
City Discovery is a leading provider of sightseeing tours, travel experiences and ground transportation worldwide. With over 5,000 carefully selected travel activities in 300 destinations and user-friendly features such as traveler reviews, wishbox, suggested itineraries and gift certificates, City Discovery sells directly to consumers through City-Discovery.com and a network of over 7,500 travel agencies and affiliates. City Discovery is available in 14 languages and has offices in USA, France, Italy, Greece and the Philippines.